[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Calibration templates?
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Calibration templates?

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration templates?

Postby JD_PhD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 am

Has anyone thought about creating plastic templates for painting/drawing the dots and circles onto whatever material the 90° corner is made out of?

I'm thinking of something like a solid sheet of thin plastic material with holes in it that one could spray point of color in with a marker in order to create the calibration pattern? Like this one:
I suppose you could make the template with something like the MakerBot, but it might make a nice eBay item too. :D
JD_PhD

Postby hal » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello,

it is a good idea, but what about the precision of the markers alignment? Do you think that is really precise to align manually (or using an handmade drawing as geometrical reference) all the markers?

I like your idea, but maybe, at the end, we obtain a calibration sheets not precise at 100%. An the calibration step must be very precise if we need good scans.

REgards and thanks for sharing,
Mattia
hal

Re: Calibration templates?

Postby JD_PhD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 am

Do you think such a template would have worse precision that sticking paper to a board?

I'm not sure you're getting my idea. :-) Here's what I would suggest:

1. Use CAD to create a template for a stiff plastic sheet with holes in all the right places.
2. Get the sheets manufactured professionally.
3. Sell the sheets, or include them in the kits.

Va bene?
JD_PhD

Postby MagWeb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

think the ring markers should be a problem.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby JD_PhD » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Gunter,

Yes, obviously there'd have to be some adjustment for the ring markers, either completing the circle by hand after the original marker application with the template, or by adjusting the software to be able to see something like this:
Circle.png
Hypothetical ring from template
Circle.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
JD_PhD

Postby moog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 am

The template idea works great......
I modified the ideas slightly, by making the ring markers separate from the rest of the panel, so that, once you've coloured in the "radioactive" symbol, you just rotate the disc a little, then colour the rest in to complete the rings.
I've had it laser cut from 1mm aluminium, all I had to do, was file off the tiny peeks, left by the laser ramp-in, ramp-out, so that the disc fits, snugly, but still rotates in the large holes.
You only need to make one panel, and one disc, as the same part can be used for both left and right side panels.
I've attached a pdf and a dxf file for a 300mm calibration panel.
All laser cutting companies can work from, dxf ( although i have modeled them in 3D, i doubt you'll need the solid models)
If anyone wants to make them in another size, let me know, and i'll generate some for that size.
Attachments
300-TEMPLATE.zip
(124.26 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby JD_Mortal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Even better...

Shelf-liner that is removable, cut into circles with a center-hole for alignment. No paint required, just peel and stick.

Personally, I like the idea of removable dots. Once calibrated, remove all the dots, so the scan is not "bothered" by the light-absorbing black dots that segment the laser-line.
DIY laser-line, Hand sweep scanning, Generic driverless webcam (640x480), Cardboard background rig, Adequate results.
JD_Mortal

Return to Camera Calibration