Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Panel Contruction Alternative

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Panel Contruction Alternative

Postby RichKuzmack » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Perhaps due to advancing years or general incompetence (I must have failed Kindergarden!) I had a very difficult time precisely cutting the calibration points printout to get the two sides that could be reasonably aligned. Also being a bit stubborn, I looked for another way to get the job done. I found one. Unless I am missing something, it is superior to the current method proposed in the manual, offering fewer opportunities to mess up.

Using Photoshop I merged a left side image and a right side image in separate layers and under magnification was able to precisely align the two for saving and printing. I printed the combined calibration points on 13" x 19" heavy weight matte stock and needed only to fold it along the single centerline for it to be ready to paste to my right-angle 'walls' to be ready for use.

Rich
RichKuzmack

Re: Panel Contruction Alternative

Postby WalterMo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi Rich,
13“ x 19“ = 330mm x 483mm. This corresponds approximately to the metric format A3 (297mm x 420mm).

In the downloaded DAVID folder you will find the file Calibpoints_V3_A3.pdf. I think this is just the kind of combined paper you was looking for.

Nice to have such a big printer available.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby RichKuzmack » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I went back and found the file you referenced, and it is combined as I had done. I suggest that calling them "A3" and "A4" effectively hides them from those of us with mostly inch-based supplies available, but that is a minor point. More significant is the fact the I could not detect the 'fold line' in the rasterized A3 version (but it is showing in the PDF reader), although it is clearly present in the rasterized A4 version. And bringing those files into a photo editor sees to resizing them to the size and shape of the paper in the printer, so it is important only when printing a PDF file directly.

What I would really recommend, though, is that if the manual is going to be revised and updated at some point, that the combined calibration points image be highlighted as the preferred approach, since careful folding along the line marking the junction edge is far easier and much less error-prone than the cutting and aligning approach presented in the current manual. It should at least be offered up as an alternative so the reader would be made aware of it.

Rich
RichKuzmack

Postby jonb2000 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi Folks,

Since my callibration error is very consistent and stubborn which is leading me to believe that the latest version of DAVID may not be compatible with the old pattern that came with my starter kit. Is this assumption correct??
Will appreciate if anybody can throw any useful insight into this problem.
After all calibration has become a major issue for 3D Laser scanning to move forward. Thanks, -- Jon
jonb2000

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Jon,
Please share the scanning pictures so that we can see what is going wrong.... Without showing the scans we can't say anything :(
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Return to Camera Calibration