[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - David cam-1 m/c calibration
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

David cam-1 m/c calibration

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

David cam-1 m/c calibration

Postby michael » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi everybody,
i've some troubles with david cam1 calibration: some settings cannot be modified (contrast, brightness), while the frame rate is too low (max 10 fps)...why?where could i find a tutorial or a guide to se the best settings for this camera? please help me!!! thanks.
michael

Re: David cam-1 m/c calibration

Postby Sven » Mon May 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello Michael,

You should not try drivers from other cameras just because they are similar. We have not had problems with the drivers so far.
You can adjust brightness with the "exposure" control, and with the mechanic iris.
Please post a screen shot of the live camera image, then we may be able to see what the problem is.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby michael » Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Ok now I post the images of my problems...

first...(not problem)

David find the exact camera and I put the BY8 tipe

1.jpg

second...

when I try to calibrate the camera there are some values that i can't change (like contrast) and others that is possible to change but doesn't make any difference

6.jpg

third...

after the calibration i can't turn the laser into white although i move the saturation so the laser remains red

4.jpg

fourth

what are the uvc special controls? and why the are the last options that i can't use?

(Image in the next post)
michael

Postby michael » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 pm

5.jpg

and

3.jpg

and at last...when i try to scan the object it cames up all in squares

2.jpg

thank you very much

Michael
michael

Postby Sven » Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Hello Michael,

Your CCD camera seems to work fine. Let me give you a few hints:

BY8 is correct.
You should move the camera closer to the calibration panels or use a larger pattern. Not all markers need to be visible in the image! The surroundings (adhesive tape) should not be visible.
It is normal that some filter settings like contrast cannot be changed. Also it is normal that brightness does not make much difference. For this camera, you should leave ALL settings at default, you only need to use the EXPOSURE settings to adjust the brightness: Around 1/10 to 1 second for calibration, and below 1/30 second for scanning. (You may want to use the "one push" button to correct the white balance of the image.)
If some controls are not visible, that seems to be a problem of the drivers, but just on some PCs. Don't worry, you don't need them.

For calibration:
There is a shadow of a cover plate(?) that makes half of the calibration pattern much darker than the rest. You should avoid that. Set the brightness higher so that the camera image looks like this:

For scanning:
It is good when the red laser is RED in the image, it does not need to be white.
The image that you posted, with the red laser light, looks good. It may be a little brighter though.
It is normal that your scan result is "in squares", if you mean that only one out of two image columns has data. The reason is that you are using a red laser and in a color camera, only 1 out of 4 pixels is sensitive to red. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter
This is not really a problem: If you set "Interpolate" to 1 or more (default 4) these gabs will be interpolated in the 3D view and when you save.
(If you use a green laser that effect won't occur, and you will have a slightly higher resolution in the scan.)

About FPS:
You must set the exposure below 1/30s to get 30 FPS. The FPS display is only relevant during scanning (after clicking start). It is normal to have lower FPS while the live camera image is shown. You can activate "reduced display frequency" if necessary. If you still get less than 30 FPS during scanning, you may need a faster PC or your scans will take longer...

One more hint:
It seems you have activated the LaserMotionEstimation for scanning without background. That's ok if you have a motorized laser, of course. However I suggest to solve the camera settings first with "usual" scanning.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby michael » Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm

thank you for the hints
i'm trying like you suggested.
i've notice that whit the cam-1 i've more problems with the left and right values during the scan (i'm getting only values around 100) and in the same position with the logitech i've no problems and values round 200.
do you know how can i solve it?

thanks Michael
michael

Postby Sven » Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 am

Hello Michael,

You mean l and r here? http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... y_feedback
A "yellow" value is not really a problem. If the scan result is good, then great! It just means that the laser line on the left and right background panel is not very long in the camera image.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby ErikKlepper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 pm

So it isn't a problem with the drivers ?
ErikKlepper

Return to Camera Calibration