Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Calibration failed!

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Calibration failed!

Postby helloman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:36 am

Hello, I'm new to this scanner. I built my board and printed at the A4 left and right pattern.

I set up the brightness and contrast on my camera. I'm not working in the best environment and my space is small but it seemed okay.

Calibration failed!

I kept adjusting the board until I got X's on all the black dots.

Even with X's on all the black dots

Calibration failed!

I manually put in the X's on all the dots and hit Next button and it said I can not scan because it has not been calibrated.

Here is a pic. The X's are off because I moved my laptop a bit to reach over and hit print screen. Im using the onboard HP webcam. It is not the best.
Attachments
32232.jpg
helloman

Re: Calibration failed!

Postby Bongobat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:55 am

Hi helloman,

I dont think you can manually put in the Xs with the new calibration system. That was used just for the old system. I think you should move the camera closer and fill more of the camera frame with the calibration sheet. It is okay if you are so close some fall outside the edges even. If that doesnt work you can try different settings of contrast brightness. You are not looking for what makes a perfect picure but what makes the dots and circles stand out clearly without noise. Sometimes setting the cam to a lower framerate can clear the picture of noise.

Just some thoughts,

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby helloman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:59 am

setting the gamma higher and the laptop closer got the cal to succeed however

my scan totally sucked! I think it is the built in HP wecab. It totally sucks! Im using a black n Decker line laser.

Its not the best, I know.
helloman

Postby helloman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 am

Are my dots too small? I just printed out the PDF from the latest download. It had all the tiny dots as you can see.

I saw this person's cal pattern

download/file.php?id=2890&mode=view

They just have a few giant dots.

Can I do this? Is this better?
helloman

Postby WalterMo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 am

If you like you can try it with the old calibration sheets. And if your camera settings are not optimal for the automatic function, you can mark the 'X's by hand with the right mouse button.
The middle mouse button is for deleting.
You must start at the double points going upwards. Like it is shown on the attached screen dump. But like Greg already mentioned, fill the camera image like it is done here. The paper sheets must lie perfectly flat on the walls. No shadow should be visible by the camera!
Attachments
Calibpoints_Scale60_DIN_A4_leftSide.pdf
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Calibpoints_Scale60_DIN_A4_rightSide.pdf
(8.01 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
AlteKalibrierung.jpg
WalterMo

Postby helloman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, this seems like it would work better. I used glue sticks to stick the paper on to the boards.

The problem with that is the paper bubbles a bit when I apply the glue. Maybe I am applying too much?

Is there a better way to pin the paper on to the wall where it remains flat?
helloman

Postby Bongobat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi,

I use a corner painted with magnetic paint: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=127 I print out the calibration on magnetic sheets: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Avery-Inkjet- ... u=10353057 You can quickly change out a wide variety of sizes to be used on the same corner using this method and they stick very flat.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Return to Camera Calibration