Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Missing something with new calibration ?

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Missing something with new calibration ?

Postby CliveB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi all,
Having been away for a year I am back again and wanting to know if anyone else is having trouble with the new calibration pattern?
I used the automatic calibration and the program saw the pattern no problem, but still gave me a failed calibration error. I did this manually as well and still the same result. I then flipped the pattern 180 just in case and also the failed error. I have use the erasure feature as well.
My main question is this: Is the manual calibration still from bottom up, right to left ?
CalibrationFail.jpg

regards

Clive
CliveB

Re: Missing something with new calibration ?

Postby Bongobat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Clive,

It may just be an optical illusion because of how your camera is angled but it looks like the left printout is slightly above the right one.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Clive,
The pattern must be build / attached quite precisely, otherwise calibration may fail. You can activate the DebugWindow in the advanced settings and see if there is a helpful error message there.
But in any case you should use a larger pattern or put the camera closer to it! One big advantage of the new pattern is that not all markers need to be visible. In your image, the marker pattern could be nearly twice as big!
The markers should spread over the whole image, not just the middle region.

You should not use the manual mode for the new calibration pattern!

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby CliveB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Sven and Greg,

I did adjust the calibration sheet on the right as Greg suggested and I also enabled the debug, which gave me a " expected 25 found 106" error even though I moved the camera closer. The program found the dots no problem on auto and with the erase mode and still the error message. I am going to go back to a different background to attach the calib pattern and try again. Thanks for the help.

Clive
CliveB

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm

About the debug window:
DAVID first tries the "new calibration" and if that fails, it tries the "old calibration". So of course under "TRY OLD CALIBRATION" it will say that it has found too many marker. When you try with the new calibration pattern, the message under "TRY NEW CALIBRATION" is relevant.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby kleinm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi to all,
this is my first post here, since all things worked fine over the last year but now i installed the 2.5 version with the new patterns (registered version) and calibration was not possible anymore. could it be the cam-connection
(quickcam pro 9000) ? do i have to tell david to use the new calibration (will it work with the old ones)? am i missing out some help files i should have read?
everything worked fine an hour ago -with the same hardware config. well i guess ill just go back to the previous version. still think this version has bugs and should be called "beta"or something...
kleinm

Postby MagWeb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi,

you can use your old patterns. DAVID first tries the new patterns and if this fails it tries to detect the old ones. So nothing to set if you want to use the old patterns.

Well, I also found that the old patterns were easier to calibrate. Simply high contrasted and all worked....
Now , with the new patterns I need to set the cam (Pro9000 too) differently:
Lower contrast seems to fit much better. I´m playing with the contrast to find the point where DAVID still finds all visible points and accepts the result... lower contrast....
Sometimes it happens that all markers are found correctly, but calibration fails... no idea why....

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby kleinm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:45 pm

hi gunther,

well that sounds :D good (no reinstall of the old version), ill give it a try and feed back on it,

thanks!

michael
kleinm

Postby muximann » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm

When I try to calibrate vith the new sheet (70 points), David debugger says: found 70 points, expected 25 :( . Im still in the tryout fase so Im using the free version. Where in the setup can I change to the new sheet with 70 calibrationpoints???

3D Rocks
muximann

Postby hal » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:27 am

Hello muximann,

If you have the latest version of David, the software recognize automatically the right set of markers. You mustn't change nothing.
Probably your is a problem of quality of image in the camera view and the software do some mistakes.
Sometimes, if there is too much light in the scene or if the dots are too small, I have the same problem.
Please post here a quick grab-image of the calibration view.
Bye
Mattia
hal

Return to Camera Calibration