Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Carved Callibration Pattern

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Carved Callibration Pattern

Postby ArchaeoPhoto » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 am

Hi,

is it reasonable to use a cnc-machine to carve a callibration pattern?
I have a material that has a white-black-white coating. The idea is to use a 2-axis cnc and carve out the points.
Questions is: Does it matter that the points have a small depth? About 0,2 to 0,5 mm?
The callibration is done via pattern recognition, right? So it shouldn't matter I thought.

The ends of the carved boards would be cut at 45° each to form a hopefully precise 90° angle.
For scans with background, the boards would be flipped to their backside so that there is a blank surface.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thorsten

p.s.: the boards will fit into a "callibration box" quite similar to the one Hal uses
See here http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3918#p3918
Laser: Green 5mW & 15mW focusable laser; Cam: Color CCD 1280px + Computar 8mm Lens; PC: HP Laptop with 8Gb RAM; Software: David Pro USB, Meshlab, Blender, PS CS4
ArchaeoPhoto

Re: Carved Callibration Pattern

Postby MagWeb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am

Hi,

no problem with engraved patterns.

tested and done several times since I used this technic on my micro scanner setup.

0.2 mm depth are more than enough to keep the color but the whole engraving must be colored (also its flanks).

I filled my last patterns with a black filler, which was finally smoothed with fine abrasive paper

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello,
Yes for DAVID it's only important that the markers are well visible (black on white or white on black).
But I suggest you wait a few days, we are going to release very soon (hopefully) a new version with an improved calibration method. The pattern is different.
If you don't want to wait, no problem, the old pattern will still be supported.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby ArchaeoPhoto » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Gunter and Sven for the fast replies,

Ok, I will wait for the new calibration pattern and test it when it's released. There's no hurry :D

It's totally great how DAVID software is evolving. Thanks a lot for this great piece of software!

Best greetings,

Thorsten
Laser: Green 5mW & 15mW focusable laser; Cam: Color CCD 1280px + Computar 8mm Lens; PC: HP Laptop with 8Gb RAM; Software: David Pro USB, Meshlab, Blender, PS CS4
ArchaeoPhoto

Postby funtasma » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Sven,

will you consider to supply patterns for HD-resolution as well, so that we don't need to recalculate the standard ones?

Thanks!

-Benjamin-
funtasma

Postby Khalid Khattak » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Sven, nice to know you are improving the software.. currently It is very difficult to make 90degree calibration panel.. My scanning results are fine but i am getting trouble in alignment of 360 degree scan..my final scan is somewhat out...Do you still consider 90degree panel in new calibration design...Can you post some pics..pls
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby Sven » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 pm

funtasma wrote:will you consider to supply patterns for HD-resolution as well, so that we don't need to recalculate the standard ones?

The pattern can be used for any resolution or aspect ratio :D
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to Camera Calibration