Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Using an IP Camera for scanning

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

Using an IP Camera for scanning

Postby marting » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am

Hi to all.
I have recently learnt that IP cameras have a much higher image resolution than the average webcam. Is there someone how has tried to connect this to DAVID scanner? I'm not quite sure if this is possible since this type of camera is a network type and further more I don't know if one can get DAVID to select it over a network. Anyone's feedback is much welcomed.
Thanks
Marting
marting

Re: Using an IP Camera for scanning

Postby marting » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi There......again.
I was thinking, if it isn't possible to refer DAVID laserscanner to an IP camera, maybe it would be made possible in hte near future. Maybe Simon or Sven could coment about this possibility? Would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
marting

Postby RAYA » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi

As I know IP camera has not more resolution than firewire (1394 port) camera and nor data transfer rate .

RAYA
RAYA

Postby marting » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 am

Hi Raya
RAYA wrote:Hi

As I know IP camera has not more resolution than firewire (1394 port) camera and nor data transfer rate .

RAYA

Thanks for your contribution. Before I carry on and put my foot into my mouth by what I write, I am no expert (in fact not at all) so pardon me if what I write is nonsense...
I do not know if the image generated both by webcams and ip cameras are enhanced via software or not, but from what I see in the pictures on the below weblink it seems that resolution is quite very good compaired to my webcam. As for the data transfer rate I have no idea which is best between firewire and IP camera, I have to ask about it.

Weblink:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/123secur ... SERIES.pdf

Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:12 am

I think the special thing about these "IP" cameras is that they transfer their image data not by Firewire or USB, but Gigabit Ethernet.
USB: up to 480 MBit/s
Firewire IEEE1394: 400 MBit/s
Firewire IEEE1394b: 800 MBit/s
GigE: 1000 MBit/s
(if I remember correctly)

So you can get more FPS or a higher resolution or both with GigE.

DAVID makes no difference between these interfaces, as long as the camera driver supports WDM it should work.
However, we do not have any experience with GigE-Cameras yet.
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby RAYA » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi

Firewire can handle up to 3200 mb/s.

FireWire S1600 and S3200
In December 2007, the 1394 Trade Association announced that products will be available before the end of 2008 using the S1600 and S3200 modes that, for the most part, had already been defined in 1394b and was further clarified in IEEE Std. 1394-2008[4]. The 1.6 Gbit/s and 3.2 Gbit/s devices use the same 9-circuit beta connectors as the existing FireWire 800 and will be fully compatible with existing S400 and S800 devices. It will compete with the forthcoming USB 3.0.[21].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394# ... 4c-2006.29

But ip camera can use up to 100 meter cheap cable ,which is in some cases very useful item.

As in PDF file is, all these camera can not use more than 55 Mbps data transfer rate,so it is better to compare
two of same resolution and same fps camera with different interface .(Gige and Firewire )

Ray
RAYA

Postby marting » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:56 am

Sven wrote:I think the special thing about these "IP" cameras is that they transfer their image data not by Firewire or USB, but Gigabit Ethernet.
USB: up to 480 MBit/s
Firewire IEEE1394: 400 MBit/s
Firewire IEEE1394b: 800 MBit/s
GigE: 1000 MBit/s
(if I remember correctly)

So you can get more FPS or a higher resolution or both with GigE.

DAVID makes no difference between these interfaces, as long as the camera driver supports WDM it should work.
However, we do not have any experience with GigE-Cameras yet.

Hi Sven,
Thanks
For the feedback. As the name says an IP camera uses an IP address and is connected through a network, therefore when chosing camera settings one has to enter the camera's IP address for DAVID. Am I right or is there another method to state which camera I will be using (in this case IP camers)? Or maybe the camera can be pluged directly into the network port at the back of the PC and so act like a normal camera? Also what is WDM? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, but I always willing to learn.
Thanks
Marting
marting

Postby Sven » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 am

WDM (Windows Driver Model) is the basis for DirectShow. So your camera, no matter which hardware interface it is connected to, needs to come with DirectShow drivers. Then it will be listed as a DirectShow video device and appear in the list of cameras in DAVID (no matter if it's Free or Professional Edition). I don't know whether, how and where you would have to define the camera's IP address.

Or maybe the camera can be pluged directly into the network port at the back of the PC and so act like a normal camera?

That makes no difference to the PC. If there's whole network or just one device connected to the network port, addressing is the same.

You will have to try if the camera works with DAVID...
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to Camera Calibration