Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

2 Positions with SL3 Extended View

The place for questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the camera calibration.

2 Positions with SL3 Extended View

Postby Ralf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 am

Hi Guys,
I tried my first scan with a small reference object in Stereo SL3.
The Calibration Info is in picture one.
I've done 2 Scannes, one in "Extended View" an the other without "Exetended View".
Nothing else has changed.
Picture 2 "firstsacan": you can see the scans in Shape Fusion.
Brown and Blue are the scan in Extended View which are like two scanns and not Fused automaticliy and had not the same position.
The green plane is otpcal exact between the other ones, which is the second scan without Extended View.

Is there someting wrong with calibration, or is there a buttom which i have overlooked?

I thougt the scans from the Extended View will be as "one scan" which don't need to be fused.

Thanks a lot for helping me!
Regards
Ralf
Attachments
Calibration.jpg
Calibration Info
firstscan.png
First Scan with 3 different positions
DavidV5, SLS-3 Stereo, TT-1 DSL-1
W10 64Bit, 32GBRAM
Intel Xeon E5-1650v3
Ralf

Re: 2 Positions with SL3 Extended View

Postby avogra » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 am

There was some error in the first David 5 Versions, they just released an update. See http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6770&start=90. For stereo scanning (not in extended view), you can reduce the angle between cameras and Projector below 20°. I had good results with 15°. I think with both cameras at 25°some details are difficult to see from both cameras and the projector at the same time. Depends on the object of course.
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Postby Ralf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:39 am

Hi avogra,
thanks for your feedback.
We have installed the current Version of David.
The only reason because we bought the second camera with SL3 is, to have "Extended view". And our Scanparts are like scissors (medical instruments), which are thin and have sharp corners and tips.
So we had much problems with the allignment.
The end result after many hours of testing is very good. But the most time is needed for the allignment.
I've calibrated the 60mm glas paddern and the scanparts are about 200mm in front of the Beamer. To focus the position with the cameras the angel has to be in the angle of about 25°.
I want to try to turn the Beamer 90 degrees, but I don't know if the calibration is still working then. If so I could have the camera nearer to the beamer an the angle can bit fit to about 15 to 22 degrees perhaps.
This is because the parts are Small an we need precise scans. A bigger distance to the beamer and cameras we don't have that quality and more problems with the allignment. Thats for sure.
Have A nice Weekend.
Regards
Ralf
W10 64Bit, 32GBRAM
Intel Xeon E5-1650v3
Ralf

Postby drndadoo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:55 am

Calibration should work IMHO, it is like you put the camera above the projector (and under). Thin edges can be a nightmare.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi Ralf,

I thought that "Extended view" (each camera takes an unique separate scan) had a single coordinate system for both scans, thus avoiding alignment and placing both scans perfectly immediately.

David team, can you please explain how "extended view" works ?

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Ralf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:20 am

Hi guys,
@ Dr. :
No, this is the default formation.
Red Rail, Beamer on default holder, cameras in position left an right.
And like seen in the Calibration info the Software says "calibration successful"
As you see in the first picture, the scan with Extended View brings two different scans to the fuison list, which have diffenrent colours (brown and blue) like scans which are made separately with one camera.
And as seen the surface which both scans have together are not at the same coordiantes.
The reference body which is used has no thin corners.

@Jeff
Yes Jeff you are right, that is my oppinion too. If the cameras have not the same position, and will not have the scan as one result, it will be unsuitable for us, because this will be harder to align as a scan which is made separately beause the surfaces are not overlappung enough. And it has to use the alignment function, as are the postions now.

@David team
Our need is to scan two surfaces in which each camera only can see one of the faces e.g. of a cube. But the scan has the faces in the right position, which need not be aligned.
Because to scan this situation with one camera the alignment will not fit because you have no overlapping.

I need support very quick, beacause we have moved the deadline of some scans to a later time, beacause we thought not to have the appended problems which we have now, and we could save time to have "extended view".
8) 8) 8)

Regards
Ralf
W10 64Bit, 32GBRAM
Intel Xeon E5-1650v3
Ralf

Postby Ralf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:52 am

Sorry for this mistake:
@Jeff
.. . If the "cameras = scans" have not the same position,....
W10 64Bit, 32GBRAM
Intel Xeon E5-1650v3
Ralf

Return to Camera Calibration